Thank you for taking the time to learn more about ALFA. Please feel free to download ALFA's company overview
as a PDF.
ADVANCING SENIOR CARE EXCELLENCE
THE VOICE OF SENIOR LIVING
ADVANCING SENIOR CARE EXCELLENCE:
Senior living best practices are continuously evolving in order to meet the changing needs of consumers, and offer accessibility, choice, dignity and independence. As a result, senior living and assisted living providers and those companies operating senior living communities share best practices through ALFA's senior living programs to raise standards and improve the quality of care and service offered to seniors and their families.
THE VOICE OF SENIOR LIVING:
ALFA is the shared voice of resident-centered, consumer-driven senior living and the seniors and families served. Through outreach, advocacy and media, ALFA informs the public and policymakers about the critical role senior living communities play to champion quality of life for seniors.
As the voice of senior living, ALFA believes that it is essential that assisted living vocabulary reinforces choice, dignity and independence. ALFA challenges all assisted living and senior living professionals to eliminate certain words and terms like "assisted living facilities" when referring to senior housing options, and instead use terms like "assisted living communities". View more taboo terms.
ALFA educates federal and state policymakers about the assisted living philosophy and advocates for public policy that advances quality of life for seniors. Examples of ALFA advocacy efforts in 2013 include:
- Working with federal stakeholders to ensure assisted living remains a home and community based option.
- Advocating for full funding and implementation of programs that benefit senior living employees, residents, and families including the Older Americans Act, National Alzheimer’s Project Act, and the Elder Justice Act.
- Advocating against legislation that would reduce employee privacy and increase the costs of operating senior living companies.
- Partnering with ALFA state affiliates and chapters to advance ALFA's public policy positions at the state level.
ALFA public policy and advocacy programs also include:
- ALFA Advocacy Fly-In - 200 senior living professionals from ALFA member companies visit with their members of the U.S. Congress to discuss matters important to senior living.
- ALFA’s Online Action Center - Advocates can write directly to their state or federal representatives through this easy to use application.
- ALFA will be launching a brand new advocacy program in January of 2014. Its goal is to encourage year round advocacy from ALFA members as well as identify and reward ALFA’s top advocates with a special distinction for their extraordinary efforts on behalf of senior living. Details to come…
- ALFAPAC - This program exists to support ALFA’s grassroots advocacy and paid lobbying efforts on Capitol Hill. Contributions to ALFAPAC go to support sitting Senators and Representatives who have already acted to enhance the future of senior living. ALFA’s members can contribute directly or by participating in PAC events such as the ALFAPAC Golf Classic, which is held annually at one of the nation’s premiere golf courses.
There are currently two categories of ALFA membership – companies that operate and manage senior living communities and allied companies that serve with senior living operators. Senior living executives and senior living professionals who work at companies and organizations that join ALFA automatically receive the benefits of membership. Learn more about ALFA Membership.
ALFA MEDIA & RESOURCES:
ALFA develops and publishes a wide variety of media focused on senior living to educate, inform and inspire its members, the public and policymakers. Sample publications include:
- Senior Living Executive magazine – the bi-monthly print publication spotlights the latest advances in the senior living business and offers news, tips and insightful pieces.
- ALFA Update – the weekly senior living e-newsletter includes news briefs, case studies and opinions to keep senior living professionals in the know.
- Senior Living Suppliers Guide – Senior living operators seeking quality products and services can turn to the ALFA Senior Living Supplier’s Guide. ALFA allied members and other companies offer a variety of options and solutions.
- Senior Living Career Center – Companies may post jobs and senior living professionals may peruse jobs and post resumes. Job posting privileges are part of our ALFA membership package.
ALFA brings its members and other senior living industry thought-leaders together each year to encourage collaboration, best practice sharing and professional development. These events include:
- ALFA Conference & Expo – the premier event in senior living includes three days of advanced educational sessions, a solutions oriented expo, high-profile awards ceremonies and networking opportunities.
- Senior Living Leadership Forum – an intensive one day program for senior executives at leading ALFA member companies, the ALFA Forum is designed to foster problem solving discussions and promote excellence at ALFA member companies and communities. Please note* The Senior Living Leadership forum is an invitation only event for ALFA's Senior Living Executive Roundtable members and representatives of the ALFA President's Council.
ALFA CONSUMER RESOURCES:
As part of ALFA’s commitment to advance the assisted living philosophy, it offers a free senior living community directory to consumers searching for communities. Additionally, ALFA provides a number of checklists including the Guide to Choosing Assisted Living checklist, brochures and information to help consumers consider their needs, evaluate communities and make the decision to move to a senior living community.
Each year, ALFA recognizes individuals, companies and organizations for embracing the assisted living philosophy and advancing excellence in senior living. These award programs include:
Have a specific question about ALFA? Contact us using our online contact form.